Curried Apple-Squash Rings
from Divine Kosher Cuisine by Risé Routenberg and Barbara Wasser
Dairy or Pareve
Yield: 8 servings
6 tablespoons butter for dairy, divided (use margarine for pareve)
1 large onion, chopped
1 1/2 tablespoons curry powder, divided
2 large Granny Smith apples, peeled and diced
2/3 cup apple juice
1/2 cup dried currants
Salt and pepper to taste
2 acorn squash, cut into 1-inch rings and seeded
- Preheat oven to 350*F. Grease cookie sheets.
- Heat 1 tablespoon butter or margarine in large skillet and sauté onions until soft.
- Stir in 1 tablespoon curry powder, apples, juice and currants. Simmer until liquid evaporates. Season with salt and pepper.
- Melt remaining butter or margarine in saucepan, add remaining curry powder and stir until fragrant, to make curry glaze.
- Arrange squash rings in single layer on sheets. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
Place scoop of filling into center of each squash ring. Drizzle with
curry glaze. Cover with foil and bake until tender, about 45 minutes.
Transfer with spatula to serve.